Sunday, June 19, 2016

EPITOME OF FLAIR - Nada Bos


Who are you?
My name is Nada Bos and I am owner of Something Else Clothing.
I create 1940s and 1950s style ladies clothing.

I started my own label after my 40th birthday. I always use to sew a bit here & there, but nothing serious. When I got back from a 6 week trip away from the USA, I just knew I had to get back in touch with my love of clothing from the 40s & 50s. I thought if I don't start being true to myself now, when will I be and I didn't want to get too old to enjoy all this stuff. I started sewing bit by bit & realised I was actually better at sewing than I thought I was. Maybe it was my perfectionism...when I started I sometimes made say 10 of the same item and every time I made the next one, I would look at how to improve the finish & my sewing.
My claim to fame is that I french seam all my clothing and ensure the inside of the garment is as (or almost) as lovely as the outside. Where I cannot french seam, I use satin ribbon or fully line the clothing.
And also that I make 1940s made to measure swing pants.
I also work full time in a day job, so the clothing I make is for the love of it & pays for my fabric habit.


Describe your fashion style

My fashion style is a mix between 40s & 50s, depending where I am going or what I doing. But I do love to wear a beautiful dress. Feel a million dollars, wearing a stunning dress.


Who is your favourite style icon & why?

All the women in the 40s & 50s movies. I don't have just one, I loved them all. I grew up from a very young age watching movies from those eras and dreamed of one day being able to wear clothing like that. Little did I know that I was going to be creating beautiful clothing like that one day and getting to wearing them. I thought I would have to be an actress to wear clothing like that, but no,
I just had to know Vintage Gals that loved to dress up, go out and have fun.



Name your 5 essential fashion pieces

1. Pencil Skirts (the first item I learn to make at the age of 9 years old)
2. All my 1940s & 1950s Dresses (I made like about 9 in about 3 weeks, before I went to New York a few years back) I wear them practically everyday to work in warmer days.
3. Vintage Cardigans (loveeee cashmare & wool beaded cardigans. I have maybe 20 and love all of them)
5. My Accessories (pearls worn around my neck, lovely earrings, maybe a broach on the jacket or cardigan if it is plain & one or two rings on my fingers. oooo shoes and a lovely bag. Are shoes & bag accessories ??? Love beautiful shoes & bags.)
4. Vintage Fur lined collar coat (love a coat with a bit of old fur around the collar - very glam !)

Do you have a special prized fashion piece in your wardrobe?

My Hawaiian Dresses. I am a collector of Hawaiian Fabrics and make a new Hawaiian dress every summer. I am always looking for special Hawaiian fabrics (that no one else might have).



What is something surprising about you?

* I love Japanese/Chinese sword fighting movies (loved Croaching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
* I can't spell and have made a living out of it by using simple words (I am a Technical Writer/Trainer by day)
* I love nuroscience and reading about how the brain/mind works.
* I love food, or maybe people know that about me already hehehe



Do you have a favourite sewing pattern? What is it?

Anything that has a few pieces as possible in it. If I find a pattern I really like, I make several dresses out of it and put a pencil skirt, semi circle skirt and any other skirt style that might be different on the bottom and then I look to see how I can change the top and make several different styles from that too. I mix and match. There is 5 new outfits.......


No comments:

Post a Comment