Monday, July 25, 2016

EPITOME OF FLAIR - BETTIE BUTCHER


Who are you? 
Hey, I’m Bettie Butcher, 
I’m a Brissy gal who loves cats, VW beetles, horror and burgers.  
Back in 2010 I won the title of Miss Ink Australia and Miss Pinup Australian Tattoo Expo, but since then have focused on sharing my knowledge with the next generation of pinup enthusiasts.  I’m a “Bettie of all trades”, 
Since 2012 I have been teaching Vintage Styling and pinup essentials workshops with the Bombshell Academy in Brisbane, 
I organize and host various pinup and tattoo pageants in Queensland and I help organize the Rods and Rockabilly festivals with my artist partner, Rastra Lyall.

Describe your fashion style
I used to wear a lot of vintage in my younger days, but now my fashion is a mix of small independent Australian and international designers, with a lean towards the 60s and sometimes a bit of a darker flair.  
I adore bright colors and prints (in purples, green and organce) and shiny fabrics that stand out like lurex and latex.



Who is your favourite style icon & why?
Its a bit of mix of Fran Drescher (The Nanny), Peggy Bundy, and the iconic horror queens, Vampira, Elvira, Lily Munster, Morticia.  
I love everything horror but especially the fashion of these particular icons, low cut bustlines, flared sleeves, nipped waists (always corseted) and fishtail skirts are so flattering for ladies with curves, and still have the timeless class of “the little black dress”.  
But i also adore everything leopard print and catsuits, teamed with big hair.


Name your 5 essential fashion pieces
My corset collection – I have about 6 steel corsets at the moment, from plain satin through to a gorgeous custom skeleton corset by Sweet Carousel Corsetry, and I almost always will be wearing one under my garments.
Latex everything – I always have latex items in my collection as I just love the look and feel of the fabric even though they definitely are not a day to day item.
Drop earrings – as I have stretched ears, clip on earrings are a must and really pull an outfit together, I love to collect small designers who make unique resin earrings.
Comfortable shoes with “party feet” – you may see me in sky high heels, but you can guarantee I have party feet inserts and am always packing a pair of flats in my handbag.
Sun safety! including a parasol/umbrella, sunscreen and water - let me honest, we live in Queensland so its almost always sunny, but even when it isn't you can still get burnt and fatigued.

 Do you have a special prized fashion piece in your wardrobe?
My most prized piece would either be my custom Lily Munster dress made by Inez from Dark Spectre clothing (you may recall her Lady Skellington dress that went viral last halloween).  
She made the gown custom to my measurements specifically to shoot with my friends “Dragula” replica.
Or my skeleton corset, custom made by Sweet Carousel corsetry, it’s a long line black corset with white vinyl skeleton bones on the front, its the high back design with a super low sweetheart bustline and a gorgeous lilac lining.

What is something surprising about you?

I do a mean balloon animal and got my first motorbike at the age of 6.

Do you have a favourite sewing pattern? What is it?
I think it would be those cute sets, where it’s a playsuit (or a top and cute highwaisted shorts) with either a wrap skirt or open fronted skirt… 
perfect for the summer weather up here in Brisbane as they have a beachside kind of feel and you have the option of showing a bit of leg, or covering up with the wrap skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment